School/Department:School of Chemical Engineering and Technology
Business Address:Room 203, Science and Innovation Complex 1, Wenchang Campus, China University of Mining and Technology
Alma Mater:University of Waterloo
- Supervisor of Doctorate Candidates
- Supervisor of Master's Candidates
Teacher College:School of Chemical Engineering&Technology
Other Contact Information
Professor Hesheng Yu was born in Nanjing, Jiangsu in July 1984. He earned his Ph.D. degree from the University of Waterloo in Canada. Currently he is a Ph.D. supervisor within the Mineral Processing Engineering Program at the School of Chemical Engineering and Technology, and is supervising graduate students majored in Mineral Processing Engineering and Clean Energy Engineering.
Prof. Yu has been awarded “Jiangsu Specially-Appointed Professor”, “Jiangsu Provincial Six Talent Peaks Program”, “Jiangsu Provincial Doctor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation”, “Rising Scholar of China University of Mining and Technology”. Prof. Yu was sessional chairs for professional international conferences including 2019 International Conference on Energy, Resources, Environment and Sustainable Development (ERESD 2019), The 35th Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference (2018 IPCC), Coal Processing, and Member of Domestic Board, 2017 International Conference on Coal Science & Technology and 2017 Australia-China Symposium on Energy (2017 ICCS&T). Prof. Yu is active reviewers for international journals such as AIChE Journal, Chemical Engineering Journal, Energy, and Fuel Processing Technology. He is also recognized by Elsevier as the Outstanding Reviewer for Energy.
Prof. Yu’s research interests primarily include air pollution control, carbon capture, nanotechnology for energy and environmental remediation, wastewater treatment, engineering applications of artificial intelligence, air quality management. Prof. Yu is the principle investigator (PI) for the General Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial R&D Fellowship (IRDF), the sub-project of "Double First-Class Program" and Special Project Under Cultivation for National Key Program of China University of Mining and Technology (CUMT). He has also participated in multiple national and international research projects.
Prof. Yu has published 19 SCI articles as the first or corresponding author in top environmental and chemical engineering journals such as Environmental Science & Technology, Chemical Engineering Journal, AIChE Journal, Chemical Engineering Science, and Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. Among them, the paper regarding CO2 capture using chilled ammonia published in AIChE Journal was selected as one of the 8 “Editor’s Choice” papers in 2016.
Prof. Yu teaches undergraduate courses including “Interfacial Chemistry” in English, and “Experimental Design and Data Analysis”, and graduate course “Interfacial and Solution Chemistry” for international students.
Prof. Yu is always looking for active and highly motivated students who are interested in efficient and clean utilization of energy resources and the development of new nanomaterials. The potential students are expected to have academic background in Mineral Processing Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, Material Science and Engineering or relevant engineering programs. Interested candidates are warmly welcomed to send their applications to Dr. Yu by email at email@example.com.
1. Cui, Y.P., Huang, X.X., Wang, T., Jia, L.H., Nie, Q.Q., Tan, Z.C., Yu, H.S.* (2022), Graphene Quantum Dots / Carbon Nitride Heterojunction with Enhanced Visible-Light Driven Photocatalysis of Nitric Oxide: An Experimental and DFT Study. Carbon, 191:502-514.
2. Li, Y.F., Yu, H.S., Zhang, Y., Zhou, N., Tan, Z.C.* (2022, In press), Kinetics and Characterization of Preparing Conductive Nanofibrous Membrane by In-situ Polymerization of Polypyrrole on Electrospun Nanofibers. Chemical Engineering Journal, 133531.
3. Zhang, K.F., Cao, H., Thé, J., Yu, H.S.* (2022), A hybrid model for multi-step coal price forecasting using decomposition technique and deep learning algorithms. Applied Energy 306, 118011.
4. Ni, C., Zhang, Q.S., Jin, M.G., Xie, G.Y., Peng, Y.L., Yu, H.S.*, Bu, X.N.* (2022), Effect of high-speed shear flocculation on the flotation kinetics of ultrafine microcrystalline graphite. Powder Technology 396：345-353.
5. Wang, T., Zhang, K.F., Thé, J., Yu, H.S.* (2022), Accurate prediction of band gap of materials using stacking machine learning model. Computational Materials Science. 201, 110899.
6. Cui, Y.P., Wang, T., Liu, J.Y., Hu, L.Z., Nie, Q.Q., Tan, Z.C., Yu, H.S.* (2021), Enhanced Solar Photocatalytic Degradation of Nitric Oxide using Graphene Quantum Dots/Bismuth Tungstate Composite Catalysts. Chemical Engineering Journal 420, 129595.
7. Liu, J.Y., Wang, T., Nie, Q.Q., Hu, L.Z., Cui, Y.P., Tan, Z.C., Yu, H.S.* (2021), One-step synthesis of metallic Bi deposited Bi2WO6 nanoclusters for enhanced photocatalytic performance: An experimental and DFT study. Applied Surface Science. 559, 149970.
8. Zhang, K.F., Thé, J., Xie, G.Y., Yu, H.S.* (2020), Multi-step ahead forecasting of regional air quality using spatial-temporal deep neural networks: A case study of Huaihai Economic Zone. Journal of Cleaner Production. 277, 123231.
9. Liu, J.Y., Nie, Q.Q., Tan, Z.C., Luo, Y.L., Wang, S., Yu, H.S.* (2020), Insights into the impurities of Bi2WO6 synthesized using the hydrothermal method. RSC Advances 10 (67), 40597-40607.
10. Hu, P., Liang, L., Peng, Y., Yu, H.S.*, Xie, G. Y.* (2020), Recovery of microcrystalline graphite from quartz using magnetic seeding, Minerals 10 (1), 24.
11. Ni, C., Bu, X.N., Xia, W., Peng, Y., Yu, H.S.*, Xie, G.Y.* (2018), Observing slime-coating of fine minerals on the lump coal surface using particle vision and measurement. Powder technology. 339, 434-439.
12. Thé, J.*, Yu, H.S.* (2017), A critical review on the simulations of wind turbine aerodynamics focusing on hybrid RANS-LES methods. Energy, 138: 257-289.
13. Yu, H.S., Thé, J. (2017), Simulation of gaseous pollutant dispersion around an isolated building using the k–ω SST (shear stress transport) turbulence model. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association. 67: 517-536.
14. Yu, H.S., Thé, J. (2016), Validation and Optimization of SST k-ω Turbulence Model for Pollutant Dispersion within A Building Array. Atmospheric Environment, 145: 225-238.
15. Yu, H.S., Thé, J., Tan, Z.C., Feng, X.S. (2016), Modeling SO2 Absorption into Water Accompanied with Reversible Reaction in a Hollow Fiber Membrane Contactor.Chemical Engineering Science，156: 136–146.
16. Yu, H.S., Tan, Z.C., Thé, J., Feng, X.S., Croiset, E., Anderson, W.A. (2016), Kinetics of the Absorption of Carbon Dioxide into Aqueous Ammonia Solutions. AIChE Journal, 62, 3673–3684. (Editor’s Choice Paper, 1 out of 8 “Editor’s Choice” Papers in 2016).
17. Wu, D.H., Tan, Z.C., Yu, H.S., Li, Q.H., Thé, J., Feng, X.S. (2016) Use of nanofiltration to reject cobalt (II) from ammoniacal solutions involved in absorption of SO2/NOx, Chemical Engineering Science145, 97-107.
18. Yu, H.S. and Tan. Z.C. (2014) On the Kinetics of the Absorption of Nitric Oxide into Ammoniacal Cobalt(II) Solutions. Environmental Science & Technology 48, 2453–2463.
19. Yu, H.S. and Tan. Z.C. (2013) Determination of Equilibrium Constants for Reactions between Nitric Oxide and Ammoniacal Cobalt(II) Solutions at Temperatures from 298.15 to 309.15 K and pH Values between 9.06 and 9.37 under Atmospheric Pressure in a Bubble Column. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research52, 3663-3673.
20. Yu, H.S., Zhu, Q.Y. and Tan, Z.C. (2012) Absorption of nitric oxide from simulated flue gas using different absorbents at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Applied Energy 93, 53-58.
21. Yu, H.S. and Tan. Z.C. (2012) New Correlations of Volumetric Liquid-Phase Mass Transfer Coefficients in Gas-Inducing Agitated Tank Reactors. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering 10, 1-20.
22. 刘嘉友，聂倩倩，俞和胜*，李亚萍 （2020），卷心菜状Bi2WO6光催化降解黄药废水. 金属矿山，524: 122-128.
Liu, J.Y., Nie, Q.Q., Yu, H.S.*, Li, Y.P. (2020), Photocatalytic Degradation of Xanthate in Wastewater Using Cabbage-like Bi2WO6. Metal Mine 524, 122-128. (in Chinese)
2009.1 to 2013.6
University of Waterloo | Mechanical Engineering | Doctor | Postgraduate (Doctoral)
2005.9 to Now
China University of Mining and Technology | Mineral Processing Engineering | Master's degree | Postgraduate (Master's Degree)
2001.9 to Now
China University of Mining and Technology | Mineral Processing Engineering | Bachelor's Degree
2017.8 to Now
School of Chemical Engineering and Technology | Professor
2014.10 to 2017.8
Lakes Environmental | NSERC IRDF、Senior Researcher
2021.10 to Now
Think Tank Expert on Environmental Management of Chemicals and Waste, BCRC Asia-Pacific
Session Chair of the 35th Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference (2018 IPCC)
Session Chair for Coal Processing, and Member of Domestic Board, 2017 International Conference on Coal Science & Technology and 2017 Australia-China Symposium on Energy (2017 ICCS&T）
Reviewers for international journals including AIChE Journal, Chemical Engineering Journal, Energy, Energy & Fuels, Aerosol and Air Quality Research, Fuel Processing Technology 、Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association.
Outstanding Reviewer for Energy in 2016.